Skelton-cum-Newby, near Ripon, North Yorkshire Designed by William Burges and constructed 1871-6, as a memorial to Frederick Vyner, murdered by brigands in Greece in 1870. His mother, Lady Mary Vyner, used the money for his ransom to commission Burges to design and build the church in the grounds of her home at Newby Hall. The interior is wonderfully rich with stained glass, figurative carving, alabaster memorials, fine marble and gilded mosaics. It is very wonderful. Redundant in 1991 it is in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust. David acts as consultant architect at the church. For two decades there has been growing concern for the conservation of the stained glass – a complete set of fantastic windows by Weeks and Saunders – for which damaging condensation is a major concern. We have been monitoring the poor environmental conditions here for several years and have recently carried out iso-thermal glazing trials. Presently we are also working on options for a new heating installation.
Skelton-cum-Newby - Christ the Consoler